I am doing a second post about a Brene Brown book because her topics are so relevant to the work that I do.
In her book Daring Greatly she identified three things we do to protect ourselves and three things that we should try to do. So for the purposes of Saying Yes… I thought they would be appropriate to list here for 2016:
Three things to do more of:
- Believing in your own worthiness i.e.: I am enough
- Setting your own boundaries i.e.: I’ve had enough
- Engagement ie: I’m taking risks & letting myself be seen
Three things to do less of:
- Putting off Joy i.e.: imagining worst case scenarios and not staying present
- Perfectionism ie: believing that doing everything perfectly protects us from feeling shame
- Numbing ie: doing anything that prevents us from feeling the pain of discomfort and shame
If a year seems too hard to commit to, try 4 months… If you can’t do all six, do the three you can… Again, this isn’t about being perfect, it’s about actually doing. Getting in the game of your life, no matter what.