I use a combination of the Co-Active Coaching Model & ACT (Acceptance & Commitment Therapy) Model.
What is Co-Active Coaching?
I believe that the Co-Active Coaching model helps clients develop positive new neural networks, respond more calmly to stress, make choices more easily and access much more of their creativity. This inevitably leads to more effective, successful and fulfilling lives. As an aside, the Co-Active model applies not only to coaching, but to work, parenting, relationships and life in general.
I have specifically chosen this coaching model based on its four cornerstones:
- The belief that people are naturally creative, resourceful and whole. That is, they can and should find their own answers, are not in need of “fixing”, can recover and learn. This cornerstone is more than just seeing the best in people, it is a fundamental view that people are inherently undamaged, capable and inventive, they don’t need to “earn” or “learn” this status, it is innate. As your coach, I want to help you find the evidence that supports the belief you have everything you need and are whole. It is my hope by starting from this fundamental belief, our sessions will have no judgement or evaluation and the focus is on our relationship and your own unique skills, talents, tools and creativity.
- The commitment to “dance in this moment”, which in summary means a dedication and commitment to being fully present in the here and now, being open and flexible, ready and able to respond. There is no official script, instead following the movement of what is occurring in each moment, staying connected and flowing with both the ups and the downs of the conversation. It is my responsibility to be of service to you in a fluid manner, while holding the overall picture & focus for learning, movement and progress.
- The focus is on the whole person, the entire heart, mind, body and spirit of their clients, rather than simply focusing on each individual problem. The commitment to focus on the whole person means seeing you the client, as more than the sum of their parts or the role they play (CFO, dad, alcoholic etc.) but to look for and understand their entire being. While in the past, the argument may have been for developing one aspect over another, there is evidence from current research that most emotionally intelligent and effective people who can use the gifts of the different parts of their brains together. By helping you expand your focus past “just” presenting issue or problem, the co-active model facilitates the engagement of the whole brain, often encouraging both thoughts and feelings. In my experience, this helps integrate the right and left hemispheres of the brain, which not only opens up new solutions and creativity, but also builds lasting connections that can be used for future problem solving.
- The purpose is to evoke transformation. Co-active coaching is committed to lasting, sustainable change, which is more than finding one simple solution to a presenting issue. I want to support you to achieve more effective ways of interacting with yourself, your family, your work environment and the world around you. The transformation from working this model truly will help you move to the next level of your personal development, as you continue to expand and grow. It will also help you to move beyond managing your “to-do” lists and instead develop new capacities to navigate anything life throws your ways. .
What is Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT)?
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) gets it name from one of its core messages: accept what is out of your personal control, and commit to action that improves and enriches your life.
The aim of ACT is to maximize human potential for a rich, full and meaningful life. ACT does this by:
- Teaching you psychological skills to deal with your painful thoughts and feelings effectively – in such a way that they have much less impact and influence over you (these are known also known as mindfulness skills).
- Helping you to clarify what is truly important and meaningful to you – i.e your values – then use that knowledge to guide, inspire and motivate you to change your life for the better.
It is my belief and personal experience that by combining these modalities, sustainable transformational results are guaranteed.